Pages

Monday 1 May 2017

{Review} Spirit (Elemental #3) by Brigid Kemmerer

17984481Posted by Donna
Release Date: May 28th, 2013
Finished Date: March 22nd, 2017
Publishers: Kensington
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Source: Bought
Format: eBook
Pages: 345
Buy: Amazon UK Amazon US / The Book Depo 
 
With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He's learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can't seem to afford any allies.

He's up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there's Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She's not hostile. She's bold. Funny. Hot. But she's got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he'll have to find someone he can trust. . .

The Review: Spirit is book three in the Elemental series and unlike the rest of the series, this book isn’t about a Merrick brother but instead their friend/enemy Hunter Garrick. Hunter like the Merrick brothers has an affinity that he can control to his will, however he is the one of the rarest – the fifth element Spirit, and while I was definitely interested in learning more about the Spirit element, I have to say I wasn’t all that excited to get Hunter’s book so soon – especially seems I was more interested in reading about the brothers. And if I’m honest I wasn’t over keen on Hunter because of his actions from the first two books. However, once I started this book I have to admit it was pretty hard to put down and I quickly started to like Hunter more as a character than I actually thought I would.

Hunter is a hard character to like because you just never know where his actions are going to take him and also if you’re on Team Merrick then it’s hard to like Hunter because he’s pretty untrustworthy sometimes. His actions make him so and I was pleased he kind of redeems himself through-out the book. He actually has a really hard time throughout Spirit and I did really feel for him. He’s hurting and has no-one to turn to – not even Gabriel and I missed the friendship he had with him – even though they don’t admit it, they are friends and seeing them at war with each other only added to Hunter’s problems. He finds trust a big issue and while you can see that the Merrick brothers want to help him, Hunter does not and just finds more reasons to be at war with them.
Being Kate into the story was interesting and very unpredictable – that ending? Seriously? I loved and hated it. I wanted more for Hunter. He was already struggling with so much and then *SPOILER* they don’t even get a happy ending. I was heartbroken. I’m not a fan of those type of endings and even now I don’t see why it needed to happen, but overall the whole story really had me hooked so I still enjoyed it.
In all Spirit took me by surprise and in the end even though some events didn’t happen the way I would of liked, I still enjoyed the story and it was a good addition to the series.

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis